About Me

My photo
I'm an arts journalist & PR consultant living and working in Scotland. I've been a journalist for more than 25 years. I write a regular column for Scottish quality newspaper, The Herald. I deliver a PR service with an arty bent and work on a consultancy basis with arts organisations, including Scotland's leading creative industries festival, XpoNorth & broadcast support body, ScreenHI. I am currently co-writing a book about the celebrated Scots artist, George Wyllie, with his daughter Louise. Instrumental in making a celebration of his life's work happen in 2012. For more information, see www.georgewyllie.com When I'm not being a mum/working, I talk to my dog. He laps it up. Contact me on janpatience@me.com (All work © Jan Patience)

Thursday, 4 June 2009

Degree Show and Tell

The Degree Show season has officially begun. Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art in Dundee raised the bar skywards with their stand-out exhibition space, Vision@Seabraes. Here's the link to my preview piece on it. http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/featuresartsreview/display.var.2508143.0.Inspiration_of_an_empty_building_allows_a_fresh_vision_for_art_show.php
I went through to Edinburgh College of Art on Tuesday for a sneaky peak at its degree show, which opens to the public on Saturday June 13. I'm going in to do the same thing at Glasgow School of Art tomorrow. Both shows open at the same time and I'm writing about them for The Herald. I can't say too much at the moment because I'd have to shoot myself if I let slip what I'd seen.
Read next Friday's Herald to get the real low-down.
The all-important assessments are still ongoing and there was a palpable air of tension as I toured round with ECA's PR, Catherine Bromely this morning.
One of the great things about being a journalist is having doors opened for you by the people in the know. Design is a big focus for Edinburgh this year and Alan Milton of the new School of Design showed me round some stellar projects in glass, jewellery, product design and illustration. Next up was Gordon Brennan of Painting and Drawing, followed by Stuart Bennett, head of sculpture. The sheer energy emanating from within ECA's walls was exhilerating. Everyone should tour a degree show on their own with staff who have been working closely with students for four years. It was a real privilege to have Alan, Gordon and Stuart talk me through what was going on in various heads as they were putting their final projects together.
Interesting that one of the Drawing and Painting students, Toby Cooke, is also shortlisted for the Jolomo Award for Landscape Painting, which will be announced on the Family & Frriends night of ECA's Degree Show. The poor boy will be torn in two.
I'll talk about the Jolomo Awards another night, but it's a strong field. Strip away your preconceptions of Mr Morrison and his art. The man's a hero for introducing this substantial award to the Scottish art world. Cooke's monochromatic stripped down landscapes are a world away from the Jolomo signature style, but it's powerful work.

3 comments:

  1. I like this layout much better...easier to work out what's what. And gorgeous colours and images.
    You should be an art dealer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Keren! Well, journalism is going up/down the swannie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed your piece on the Dundee Degree Show. I've visited it for about the past 7 years (since I was a jewellery student there) and the space was fantastic

    Genna
    http://www.gennadelaney.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers