About Me

My photo
I'm an arts journalist & PR consultant living and working in Scotland. I've been a journalist for more than 25 years. I write a regular column for Scottish quality newspaper, The Herald. I deliver a PR service with an arty bent and work on a consultancy basis with arts organisations, including Scotland's leading creative industries festival, XpoNorth & broadcast support body, ScreenHI. I am currently co-writing a book about the celebrated Scots artist, George Wyllie, with his daughter Louise. Instrumental in making a celebration of his life's work happen in 2012. For more information, see www.georgewyllie.com When I'm not being a mum/working, I talk to my dog. He laps it up. Contact me on janpatience@me.com (All work © Jan Patience)

Tuesday, 9 June 2009

I Like Melancholy

Richard Dorment was going overboard about Martin Boyce's installation in yesterday's Telegraph.

Venice is definitely calling...

In a review of the Biennalle, he wrote: "At the Scottish Pavilion, Glaswegian artist Martin Boyce is showing an installation of such melancholy beauty that it was, for me, one of the highlights of the whole Biennale. To see it you have to leap over enormous irregularly shaped slabs of stone surrounded by autumnal “leaves” cut out of paper. Then Boyce uses the language of the inner city – chain fencing, metal beds cut into jagged, and interlocking geometric shapes – to suggest the side of Venice that is somehow lopsided and labyrinthine. If Boyce doesn’t win the Turner Prize one of these days, I’ll eat my hat."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers