About Me

My photo
I'm an arts journalist & PR consultant living and working in Scotland. I've been a journalist for more than 25 years. I write a regular column for Scottish quality newspaper, The Herald. I deliver a PR service with an arty bent and work on a consultancy basis with arts organisations, including Scotland's leading creative industries festival, XpoNorth & broadcast support body, ScreenHI. I am currently co-writing a book about the celebrated Scots artist, George Wyllie, with his daughter Louise. Instrumental in making a celebration of his life's work happen in 2012. For more information, see www.georgewyllie.com When I'm not being a mum/working, I talk to my dog. He laps it up. Contact me on janpatience@me.com (All work © Jan Patience)

Monday, 8 June 2009

Venice Biennale

There's nothing else for it. I'm going to have to get myself by hook or by crook to Venice before November, credit crunch or not. Martin Boyce is representing Scotland in this year's Biennale and from what I've seen in the newspapers, it looks like Boyce is sitting amidst the ruins of an indoor cemetery in the pictures. But what does that tell you?
Tracey Emin represented Britain at the last Biennale and this time last year, I would have been the first in line to say: "Tracey Emin... unmade beds! It's a travesty!"
But, after visiting her retrospective in Edinburgh last year, I'm a fan. Soundbite art doesn't work in two-dimensions. Even her bed was interesting, but there was so much more to 'Tray' than meets the media eye.

2 comments:

  1. And you always have to see it for yourself. Get on that plane to Venice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do indeed. And what better place to see art than the place where Dirk Bogarde's hair dye ran so appealingly over his face?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers