About Me

My photo
I'm an arts journalist & PR consultant living and working in Scotland. I've been a journalist for more than 25 years. I write a regular column for Scottish quality newspaper, The Herald. I deliver a PR service with an arty bent and work on a consultancy basis with arts organisations, including Scotland's leading creative industries festival, XpoNorth & broadcast support body, ScreenHI. I am currently co-writing a book about the celebrated Scots artist, George Wyllie, with his daughter Louise. Instrumental in making a celebration of his life's work happen in 2012. For more information, see www.georgewyllie.com When I'm not being a mum/working, I talk to my dog. He laps it up. Contact me on janpatience@me.com (All work © Jan Patience)

Wednesday, 26 August 2009

Back In The Thick Of It...

According to the dashboard (blogspeak darlings, blogspeak...) it's been more than a month since I last blogged. Life intervenes in all things and in my case I've been overseeing the care of my mum, caring for my own little darlings (ie switching off Nick Jr), driving a lot (husband out of action due to rock n roll slip up on toilet floor at Glastonbury) and taking a break in the beautiful US State of Vermont, where my sister-in-law Frances lives with her family.
Just before I left, I interviewed The Thick Of It star, Peter Capaldi about his forthcoming documentary on BBC4, called A Portrait of Scotland in which he tracks the history of Scottish portraiture from the reformation onwards.
It's quite academic in parts, though I confess I learned a lot along the way and was really interested in the tragic story of Allan Ramsay's first wife. The best bits, for my money, are Peter's interviews with artists such as Peter Howson and John Byrne.
Peter was great though I was quaking a little in anticipation of our encounter as his investive-charged character from In The Loop and In The Thick of It, Malcolm Tucker, reminds me of some awful bosses I had in newspaper land. He did ask me at the end if 'I had run out of questions' which saw me laughing nervously. Never been asked that before...
Read the feature in this Saturday's ABC section of The Herald. It might even go online as the paper has rejigged its website to be more arts-friendly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers