About Me

My photo
I'm an arts journalist & PR consultant living and working in Scotland. I've been a journalist for more than 25 years. I write a regular column for Scottish quality newspaper, The Herald. I deliver a PR service with an arty bent and work on a consultancy basis with arts organisations, including Scotland's leading creative industries festival, XpoNorth & broadcast support body, ScreenHI. I am currently co-writing a book about the celebrated Scots artist, George Wyllie, with his daughter Louise. Instrumental in making a celebration of his life's work happen in 2012. For more information, see www.georgewyllie.com When I'm not being a mum/working, I talk to my dog. He laps it up. Contact me on janpatience@me.com (All work © Jan Patience)

Wednesday, 26 August 2009

Ross Ryan


I managed to get out to the opening of an exhibition last Friday night. Must be the post-holiday vibe...
The exhibition was New Work by Ross Ryan at the Kelly Gallery on Douglas Street, Glasgow.
I first met Ross a few years ago after I wrote a big piece for The Herald on 50 Scottish artists to invest in. He trained as a printmaker at Gray's College of Art in Aberdeen using the sea and the communities which rely on it as his inspiration, but lately, he has turned to paint.
Ross is a keen sailor and is based in picture perfect village of Crinan in Argyll, where his family (including his artist mother Frances Macdonald) run the Crina Hotel. For this set of paintings, he took himself out of this familiar environment and moved temporarily to Bilbao in Spain - a place I've always wanted to visit. I'd love to spend a few days in Frank Gehry's Guggenheim Museum.
The result is a set of big, colourful paintings - some set in Spain, some in Scotland. All are inspired by the sea. Ross is definitely moving on in his work - he's been working outside or from memory, freed up by escaping the rigidity and nervewracking process involved in printmaking.
Ross is one to watch as he has total integrity about what he does in his art. There's passion in his painting process, which I know he will harness and run with. Another name to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers