About Me

My photo
I'm an arts journalist & PR consultant living and working in Scotland. I've been a journalist for more than 25 years. I write a regular column for Scottish quality newspaper, The Herald. I deliver a PR service with an arty bent and work on a consultancy basis with arts organisations, including Scotland's leading creative industries festival, XpoNorth & broadcast support body, ScreenHI. I am currently co-writing a book about the celebrated Scots artist, George Wyllie, with his daughter Louise. Instrumental in making a celebration of his life's work happen in 2012. For more information, see www.georgewyllie.com When I'm not being a mum/working, I talk to my dog. He laps it up. Contact me on janpatience@me.com (All work © Jan Patience)

Friday, 16 October 2009

Abigail McLellan


I was really sad to hear the news today of the death of Abigail McLellan, the artist who created the beautiful title image on this blog.
Abigail had been battling MS head-on for the last 10 years and her death at the age of just 40 robs the Scottish art world of a vitally original artistic mind.
Abby was working in her studio in WASPS, Dennistoun until very recently, aided and abetted by her life partner, the painter Alasdair Wallace.
Her most recent work seemed to visually distill the experience of living with MS in the most vital way.
It was as though she was reducing the connections which bind us all to life by a slender thread in a truly beautiful way.
Abigail McLellan had a beautiful mind and she will be sadly missed by her family and friends.
To see more of her work, go to: http://www.r-h-g.co.uk/artists/view/abigail_mclellan/7,0,0.html
Here is the announcement from yesterday's Herald: http://www.yourannouncement.co.uk/?_fstatus=search;keywords=McLellan%20Abigail;source=nqgl_her

2 comments:

  1. I am so sad to hear about Abigail's death. I own one of her flower paintings that I saw hanging in the Charlotte Street Rebecca Hossack Gallery one evening ...the entire gallery was glowing with massive pinks and purples and yellows and reds...and I had to return the following day and claim one for my own. So happy I did. So sad I won't be able to again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that comment. You're right. Her work does glow, as did Abby. Rebecca Hossack is planning a big retrospective of her work in November in London, accompanied by a book. If you keep checking the website, the details will soon be on it (if they're not already). Her husband, Alasdair Wallace, has been keeping me posted about it and I hope to write about it nearer the time.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers