About Me

My photo
I'm an arts journalist & PR consultant living and working in Scotland. I've been a journalist for more than 25 years. I write a regular column for Scottish quality newspaper, The Herald. I deliver a PR service with an arty bent and work on a consultancy basis with arts organisations, including Scotland's leading creative industries festival, XpoNorth & broadcast support body, ScreenHI. I am currently co-writing a book about the celebrated Scots artist, George Wyllie, with his daughter Louise. Instrumental in making a celebration of his life's work happen in 2012. For more information, see www.georgewyllie.com When I'm not being a mum/working, I talk to my dog. He laps it up. Contact me on janpatience@me.com (All work © Jan Patience)

Friday, 19 February 2010

Robert Colquhoun & Robert MacBryde - The Two Roberts














Clockwise from left. Robert MacBryde The Necromancer 1949

Robert Colquhoun Festa, Settignano 1950

Robert MacBryde & Robert Colquhoun Bedford Gardens Studio by Felix Man (1949) Hulton Archive-Getty Images


I've been immersed this week in the work of the The Roberts - Colquhoun & MacBryde - as I've been writing a preview of the exhibition which Edinburgh's Scottish Gallery is holding and which opens on March 3 and lasts until the end of the month (www.scottish-gallery.co.uk)

I won't say to much just now as you can read the feature in next Saturday's Herald, after which I'll post it here, but I'm absolutely entranced by this pair. I first heard about Robert Colquhoun from my Kilmarnock Academy art teacher, Davy Brown. Colquhoun had attended Kilmarnock Academy (and worked in the same art rooms in which Davy told us the stories about him). One of the older members of the art department, Mr McKissock, had been a contemporary of Colquhoun's at Glasgow School of Art.

Davy, now a successful and highly collectably artist, has written a very personal piece about The Roberts in The Scottish Gallery's catalogue which accompanies the show. If you can get a hold of this catalogue, it's well worth the effort, as not only is it a fund of fascinating information about the Ayrshire-born couple, it is festooned with beautiful images of the two men, taken by post war Vogue photographers John Deakin and Clifford Coffin.

The exhibition also coincides with the launch of The Last Bohemians, a groundbreaking biography of Colquhoun & MacBryde, which has been written by Roger Bristow. Dr Bristow will be hosting a talk and book signing session in the gallery on the afternoon of March 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers