About Me

My photo
I'm an arts journalist & PR consultant living and working in Scotland. I've been a journalist for more than 25 years. I write a regular column for Scottish quality newspaper, The Herald. I deliver a PR service with an arty bent and work on a consultancy basis with arts organisations, including Scotland's leading creative industries festival, XpoNorth & broadcast support body, ScreenHI. I am currently co-writing a book about the celebrated Scots artist, George Wyllie, with his daughter Louise. Instrumental in making a celebration of his life's work happen in 2012. For more information, see www.georgewyllie.com When I'm not being a mum/working, I talk to my dog. He laps it up. Contact me on janpatience@me.com (All work © Jan Patience)

Monday, 24 May 2010

Declarations & Arbroath



For the last couple of months I've been covering maternity leave at Scotland's leading glossy interiors magazine, Homes & Interiors Scotland magazine. It's a great mag to work on and it's stuffed to the gunnels full of lovely stuff to look at and a wheen of good reading.

It has a fantastic art section and the current issue carries a couple of treats for art lovers. Our regular Behind Closed Doors feature is about Hospitalfield House in Arbroath, which has played host to generations of leading Scottish artists for the last 100 + years. As the pictures reveal, it's an incredible building with history painted into its beautifully crafted rafters. It's a place I'd always wanted to visit.

There's also a big feature on the artist Abigail McLellan, whose beautiful Allium on Blue graces the top of this blog. Abigail died last October from MS at the age of just 40. Abby's husband Ally, the painter Alasdair Wallace, is finishing off her last works in the studio which they shared (well, it had an adjoining door... but they are very different spaces!)

There is life affirming joy in Abby's work and if you don't know it, I urge you to take a look at it. I'll post the words eventually on this blog... but in the meantime BUY THE MAG!

1 comment:

Blog Archive

Followers