About Me

My photo
I'm an arts journalist & PR consultant living and working in Scotland. I've been a journalist for more than 25 years. I write a regular column for Scottish quality newspaper, The Herald. I deliver a PR service with an arty bent and work on a consultancy basis with arts organisations, including Scotland's leading creative industries festival, XpoNorth & broadcast support body, ScreenHI. I am currently co-writing a book about the celebrated Scots artist, George Wyllie, with his daughter Louise. Instrumental in making a celebration of his life's work happen in 2012. For more information, see www.georgewyllie.com When I'm not being a mum/working, I talk to my dog. He laps it up. Contact me on janpatience@me.com (All work © Jan Patience)

Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Calum McClure wins biggest art prize in Scotland

Undergrowth (oil on board), £3,250 by Calum McClure
(for more details see www.scottish-gallery.co.uk)



The winner of the 2011 Jolomo Bank of Scotland Award for Scottish Landscape Painting was announced on June 24 at a glittering ceremony at Kelvingrove in Glasgow. (I wasn't there... invite must've got lost in the post.)

The top life-changing award of £25k was won by 24-year old Edinburgh artist Calum McClure against tough opposition from six other Scottish artists. The second award winner is 38-year-old Beth Robertson Fiddes and the third award went to 26-year- old Katie Pope. Beth and Katie won £6,000 and £4,000 respectively.  


Winning artist Calum McClure said “This will make a real difference to my work. I graduated from Edinburgh College of Art in May 2010 and have continued to work as an artist since then. Among the focus of my landscapes are country houses and formal gardens. I paint these not only because of the interesting botanical specimens and the floral and fauna brought to the estates by their owners, but because it is a side of Scotland that is sometimes overlooked, due to our willingness to purport a skewed vernacular or kitsch version of ‘Scottishness’. The focus of my work for almost two years has been Cammo estate on the outskirts of Edinburgh, in particular its boating pond.”  
The Jolomo Awards were established by artist John Lowrie Morrison – Jolomo - in 2006 to support, encourage, and promote painting of the Scottish landscape. Dr. John Lowrie Morrison OBE said “It was an extremely difficult job to choose not only the shortlisted artists but the three final winners of awards.  However the quality of all the work shows that landscape painting is alive and well in Scotland, although maybe not in all the Art Schools!”
He continued: “The winners show the best of that painting – Katie Pope’s wonderfully expressive Glasgow urban landscapes, Beth Robertson Fiddes’ primeval shorelines and Award winner Calum McClures’s beautifully intricate Wyethesque recording of garden landscape.  All the shortlisted artists’ work this year was simply stunning – however the three winners were just that bit special.   We shall see more of them all!”
The other shortlisted candidates were David Cass (22) from The Borders, Edinburgh based artists include Allan Robertson (58), Jenny Mason (36) and Aberdeenshire Susie Lee (45).

Big Buachaille by Beth Robertson Fiddes
(www.bethrobertsonfiddes.com)


Glasgow Winter Necroplis by Katie Pope
www.katiepope.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers