About Me

My photo
I'm an arts journalist & PR consultant living and working in Scotland. I've been a journalist for more than 25 years. I write a regular column for Scottish quality newspaper, The Herald. I deliver a PR service with an arty bent and work on a consultancy basis with arts organisations, including Scotland's leading creative industries festival, XpoNorth & broadcast support body, ScreenHI. I am currently co-writing a book about the celebrated Scots artist, George Wyllie, with his daughter Louise. Instrumental in making a celebration of his life's work happen in 2012. For more information, see www.georgewyllie.com When I'm not being a mum/working, I talk to my dog. He laps it up. Contact me on janpatience@me.com (All work © Jan Patience)

Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Frances Law at The Park Gallery, Falkirk


This is an unedited version of a piece which I wrote for The Herald Arts section on 3/3/12


Beyond Appearance: Frances Law
The Park Gallery, Callendar House, Falkirk
5 March-20 May 
01324-503788
www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org
5 March - 20 May
Frances Law stands in front of one of her large oil paintings 


Shell-seeking is a pleasure which transcends barriers of age, culture and language. How many of us have combed beaches looking for the ultimate shell? How many of us have bags of shells lying in a garage or, sitting, like a talisman, on a window sill? Shells draw human beings of all ages and from all backgrounds into their intricate interior, like moths to a light.

They are a tangible reminder of the sea wind in your face. Of sand between your toes. Of freedom to explore.
Picking them up, handling them, peering inside is, as William Blake said in his poem, Auguries of Innocence, ‘To see a world in a grain of sand’.

Frances Law’s studio – a hut outside her home in rural Angus – is filled with a mix of flotsam and jetsam she has picked up on past beach-combing trips. 

In this small tranquil space, your eye dances from the views out to rolling fields, and back to shelves crowded with beautiful carefully constructed assemblages of found treasure, bowls of shells and pebbles, bottles and brushes. Then there are the large scale oil paintings of the interior world of a shell.

The simple pleasure of shells - from Frances' studio

Among the cards, receipts, memos and aide-memoires pinned on the wall, there’s a typed quote from Marcel Proust’s La Prisonnière, the fifth volume of Remembrance of Things Past, which reads, ‘The real voyage of discovery consists not of seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.’

I first saw Law’s work in the summer of 2010, when she was selected to be a finalist in what turned out to be the last-ever Aspect Prize. From 2003-2011, this much-missed  annual award for Scottish painters gave four finalists the opportunity to paint for six months by providing a £5000 cushion. The ultimate winner then received an additional £10,000.

What initially struck me most about Law’s’ work was the fact that although there were no figures within its hidden depths, it was almost as though a figure existed there. Hidden, lurking, watching and waiting.

When I tell her this, she replies, ‘I always feel like I am painting myself in these works. Until 1998, I painted the figure all the time, but since then, I have been exploring the possibilities of structures such as shells or other natural forms. I like the way that natural forms become architectural.

The process by which Law arrives at her large shell paintings sees her looking through a tiny homemade viewfinder at small sections of shells grouped together. 

Frances uses a homemade viewfinder to home in on tiny sections of shells which she then paints on a large scale


She then sets to work, using the dry brush technique she learned at Glasgow School of Art under her tutor there, the acclaimed painter, Sandy Moffat.

“The style of painting suits me,” she explains. “I wanted precision and Sandy opened a door for me which allowed me to paint in a very precise way.”

Talking to Law about her work, it feels like her early interest in archaeology, gleaned she says from her history-mad father, has burrowed its way into her psyche.

She explains. ‘I remember as a young child – maybe around seven or eight – being with my dad and my brother and 
sister, watching an archeological dig on the Antonine Wall outside Denny, where we lived.

“I was fascinated by the process and I think to this day, I’m uncovering; searching, unearthing my own archaeology. Always looking for the light and looking at the ordinary, making it extraordinary.”

It is this luminous aspect of Frances Law’s work, which makes it so intriguing. Like all good artists, she takes us, her viewers, on a voyage of self-discovery to places we didn’t know existed.

This exhibition at The Park Gallery brings together Law’s interest in working with assemblage and installation along with her large expressive figurative paintings and more recent ethereal shell works. 

Assemblages everywhere...


Boxed assemblages will be placed throughout Callendar House and a tepee, hand made by the artist, will be placed in the cultivating earth garden within Callendar Park as an interactive art piece working with the Primary four pupils of Laurieston Primary School.

The artist will talk about the influences which have shaped her work from her inspiring beginnings at Denny High School to the magical island of Iona on the west coast of Scotland, at Callendar House on Wednesday March 28, from 11am-12pm. She will also conduct a family-friendly workshop on Tuesday April 3, from 10am-4pm when you can create your own Law-style mini-masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers